Saturday, October 1, 2011

What's the easiest stuff to recycle

My local suburb doesn't have curbside recycling. You have to hunt down where you can take your recyclables. But here are a few things you can recycle with little to no effort:

- Gift bags - this should be a "well duh!" but you would be surprised at how many birthday parties I've been to where these get thrown away. All you need to do is empty them, take off any tags and fold them and put them away for another use. Next party/holiday, pull one out and reuse them. Plus it saves you money on buying gift bags in the future. Win-Win!

- Tissue paper - now I know not many people think of this. Some people who save gift bags often don't save their tissue paper from those gift bags. All you need to do is take a few seconds to smooth it out and fold it up to store. When you put paper into gift bags, it gets crinkled anyway so don't sweat it. I only throw out tissue paper that is horribly wrinkled AND torn.

- Glass Bottles and Jars - I don't know of a local recycler of glass (I haven't really looked since I reuse almost all of my glass bottles and jars). Bottles and jars can be reused to store tons of stuff from nails to craft supplies to leftover food. They can also be used as crafts themselves. I use alot of mine to make halloween props.

Notice I didn't mention cans, newspaper, plastic. I figured those were well duhs also.

I just wanted to mention a few things that may be overlooked at your house.

No comments: